Goodnight, Goodbye

You don't have to walk me home
I can see my way just fine
I can see you'd rather be alone
Than to have your hand in mine
And though you smile, I see the tears
Just behind your eyes
Afraid to say the love just isn't there
Afraid to say goodbye
Your body language said it all
Didn't need to speak a word
I hoped that I just read you wrong
Trying to avoid the hurt
But as the minutes floated by
And your eyes avoided mine
Couldn't help but think I'd cheated you
And this was just a waste of time
The things I've said to you are true
Not holding on to sympathy
I hope you find what you've been looking for
Even though it isn't me
Ashes to ash and dirt to dust
Shake them from your feet
Walk away with downcast face
And say that it isn't me
Lie if it makes you feel free

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homecoming

A Post for My Daughter