Homecoming

This was written a few years ago ...

Homecoming.
Sunday, Chunky Baptist Church will celebrate its homecoming. My brother is the guest speaker.
Lunch will follow.
For a lot of us, the word "homecoming" has certain connotations -- food, fellowship, honoring a person or group, celebration, memories, friends and family. Whether associated with church, sports or anything else, little changes.
But for those of us who don't live, worship or attend that "home" anymore, it's not a coming, it's a going. We're home-going.
We plan, anticipate and travel in order tk be a part of the event. We're going back home.
So the emphasis of the word lies really with those who are inviting. For them it is a homecoming because others will come home to where they are waiting ... to feast, fellowship, remember and catch up.
I love going home. I love visiting with my family and friends and seeing how people have grown physically and otherwise.
But I think what I love even more is when my children come home to me.
Where I live is not the walls they grew up within, nor even in the same city (or state). But who cares? It's about who is there.
I get so much comfort in knowing that my family is here with me, that they took the time and took on the expense of coming to see me ... and that they wanted to do so.
I can only imagine what a homecoming in heaven will be like.
Maybe we'll find out Sunday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Post for My Daughter