Listening, But What am I Hearing?

It's just after the rain, I hear the mockingbirds sing
Life still goes on in this cold, wet Spring
But my heart still hurts, as my head's thumping
Keeping time with the pains I can't forget

If I say I'm apathetic but I'm angry about it
Does that mean I'm a liar or just a confused nitwit?
Why do the slightest things make me just wanna spit?
And what can I do about them, anyway?

From my house I can hear the interstate hums
And the trains on their multiple day and night runs
And the dog next door that can't shut its gums
And an owl that seems to be lost

But the sounds that I so very much long to hear
The talking and laughter that sound so dear
From those who are longing to have me near
Are what I desire to hear the most

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homecoming

A Post for My Daughter