A Bunch of Unrelated Poems, for My Daughters

Princess, One
It's said there once was a princess
who lived in a land made of glue.
What a horrible thing to deal with - 
not knowing where to set your shoes.

Princess, Two
I had once heard a princess was coming,
while riding the school bus to school.
But was she coming where I was going?
And was this meeting going to be cool?
And who's to say I would meet her
when I had arrived in class?
Perhaps she was going to visit,
or perhaps would only walk past.
And was it she I really wanted to see,
and would she turn out to be a friend?
Would she arrive in a stretch limousine,
or riding a dolphin's fin?
But then, here she came, just as real as life.
What would I say? I did not know.
So when she smiled and shook my hand, 
I simply said, "Jell-O".

A Poem that Has Absolutely Nothing Whatsoever to Do with Princesses
Hey, there, whatcha doin?
Why you got those headphones on?
Are ya list'nin' to some music?
Do ya wanna be left alone?
Why you sittin' here all by yourself,
curled up with just a book?
Why do you keep sayin', "Shh!"
And why give me that look?
Would ya like somethin' to eat, my dear?
Or maybe to play a game?
Now, no need to get all huffy,
and on me to place the blame.
I just was seein' where ya were, was all,
'cause you weren't in your room.
So, I simply ask again, my love,
Hey, there, whatcha doin?

How I Love You
Oh, how I love the two of you,
my daughters and my heart.
I can't explain the depth of love
I feel in song or art.
The greatest, grandest painting
that I could ever create
would give you only the merest glimpse
of my love for you, it's so great!
The longest, flowing poem or song
that I could sing or write
would only let you know a bit
of how I feel inside.
My lovely ones, nothing compares,
and for you I always give thanks.
To tell you what you mean to me
my heart's river o'erflows its banks.
I would die for you and live for you
and I'll love you for all time.
I thank God He loves you even more than I,
and I thank Him that you're mine!!

"That's My Daughter in the Water", Loudon Wainwright III
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVam-fshUgw
"Cinderella", Stephen Curtis Chapman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrWMBC6yoME
"Butterfly Kisses", Bob Carlisle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwlAdEnT-do



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homecoming

A Post for My Daughter