What Blogs are For

I keep getting these offers from poetry websites and poetry book publishers, saying that they love my writing, and want to publish it. Please submit a previously-unpublished poem! We will feature it in our upcoming [issue/book] in a section of new and up-and-coming poets! If you would like to add a bio to your name on a separate page facing your poem, just send us $19.95. If you would like a copy of the book in which your poem will appear, just send $79.95 and the souls of your children.

But I like my children.

I admit I have submitted poems to some of them, but I have never purchased anything. Why would I pay a hundred bucks to get someone to print one of my poems and some info about me in a hardcover book that will just sit on my table and make people wonder why I have in my home such a large tome of poems. 
I could only explain it by pointing out my poem on page 387 of 700 pages (or whatever) and smiling awkwardly while they read it silently, eyebrows raised, and then comment something like, "Oh, that's nice". 
Worth $100? I don't think so.

I already have a box full of books with my name on the cover as co-author, and I can't get rid of those. I don't need another book lying around reminding me I wrote something few people have read. 

That's what blogs are for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homecoming

A Post for My Daughter