Flawless

Mercy Me's song, "Flawless", is right on point. Compared with the popular secular song by the same name, quite a few contrasts can be easily seen.

Mercy Me's song focuses on our worth being found in Christ. No matter our condition on our own, the sacrifice of Jesus makes those who accept Him flawless.

"let me introduce you to amazing grace
No matter the bumps
No matter the bruises
No matter the scars
Still the truth is
The cross has made
The cross has made you flawless
No matter the hurt
Or how deep the wound is
No matter the pain
Still the truth is
The cross has made
The cross has made you flawless"
"Could it possibly be
That we simply can’t believe
That this unconditional
Kind of love would be enough
To take a filthy wretch like this
And wrap him up in righteousness
But that’s exactly what He did"
"Take a breath smile and say
Right here right now I’m ok
Because the cross was enough"

Beyoncé's song "Flawless" focuses on self. Though lyrics below are edited, I used * in place of letters to give you an idea of just how offensive the language is. The song is focused on looking perfect, having money, being wanted physically, and envied by others.

"Boy, you know I look good as f***
You wish I was your baby momma"
More cursing, I'm worth a billion dollars
"(haha) (G**d***) repeat 2x"
"Momma taught me good home training
My daddy taught me how to love my haters
My sister taught me I should speak my mind
My man made me feel so G**d*** fine
(I'm flawless!)"
"I woke up like this, I woke up like this
We flawless, ladies, tell 'em
Say, "I look so good tonight"
G**d***, G**d***
Say, "I look so good tonight"
G**d***, G**d***, G**d***!"
"And you can say what you want
I’m the s*** (what you want, I’m the s***)"
Repeated use of s***, g**d***, f***, n****, p****, m*****f*****, a**, and b*****.

Big difference. Despite the vulgarity, the second song focuses on sinful self separated from salvation, while the first focuses on grace from God's gift making us right in the Savior.

Contrasting two words/phrases, one attitude is God condemned, and the other is God blessed.

The issue is not musical styles, preference, etc., it's the condition of hearts.
This applies to a plethora of issues, a rainbow of conditions - lost under man's rainbow, or saved under God's rainbow of grace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homecoming

A Post for My Daughter