The Eagle and Child

My daughter Jessy, my wife Donna, and I were enjoying watching a television show on London, England, when someone commented that they never thought of England as being very big. Jessy said if we visited the country and got separated, it wouldn't take long to find each other.
If we got separated, I said, they would find me at The Eagle and Child.
From wherever in England I was, I would just give the cab driver the address of 49 St. Giles, Oxford, and settle in for the ride.
Within short walking distance of Oxford University and St. Johns College, this traditional English pub has been around since 1650. Taking its name from the crest of the Earls of Derby, The Eagle and Child was nicknamed “The Bird and Baby” by an interesting group of writers who dubbed themselves “The Inklings”.
It's because of this connection to JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis that I would be found there.
I'm not a drinker, so I wouldn't be ordering any of their “cask ales”, “specially selected gins”, or “award-winning wines”. Not sure if they're a smoking establishment or not, though I know Lewis and Tolkien once enjoyed their pipes and cigarettes there.
I think I'd like to try some of their food, however, like the Wild Boar and Chorizo Burger, with bacon, jalapenos and cheese, plus an order of (onion) rings. Or, a meat pie! The Signature Steak and Nicholson's Pale Ale Perfect Pie, “in a shortcrust pastry case with creamy mashed potato and sauteed greens”. I'd have to wait until Sunday for the meat pie, however, according to their on-line menus.
A million places I'd love to visit in England, and I've never had the privilege to go to any, but The Bird and Baby is definitely on my list when I finally get to go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homecoming

A Post for My Daughter