Sad Love Songs


Sad Love Songs

I must admit, I rather enjoy sad love songs.
You know the ones – songs that talk about love lost, love missed, love misused, mistreated, and so on.
Or the sweet love songs that nevertheless sound sad, because of how they’re performed.

I am in misery, there ain’t nobody that can comfort me
Why won’t you answer me? The silence is slowly killing me [1]

I have died every day, waiting for you
Darling, don’t be afraid – I have loved you for a thousand years
I’ll love you for a thousand more [2]

If happy-ever-afters did exist
I would still be holding you like this
All those fairy tales are full of it
Another stupid love song, I’ll be sick [3]

I've forgotten you
I've forgotten every single time you kissed me
I don't miss it like you think I do
I've forgotten you
How you held me and it felt like it's what you were born to do
If I lie enough, it might come true
I've forgotten you [4]

I wish that I had missed the first time that we kissed
‘cause you broke all your promises
And now you’re back
You’re looking to get me back
And who do you think you are?
Running ‘round leaving scars
Collecting your jar of hearts
And tearing love apart
You’re gonna catch a cold
From the ice inside your soul
So don’t come back for me
Don’t come back at all
Who do you think you are? [5]

The wheels have lifted
I’m crossing this great expanse
That brings me back to you
It seems we waited like forever
To get caught up in this web we won’t refuse
I know it’s been a while
But I am on my way
So, Baby, let’s go dance across the sky tonight
’Cause no boundary can keep me from your arms tonight
Of all the things in my life that I could rewrite
I wouldn’t trade a moment with you [6]

I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited
But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it.
I'd hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded
That for me it isn't over.
Never mind, I'll find someone like you
I wish nothing but the best for you too
Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
"Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead."
Nothing compares, No worries or cares
Regrets and mistakes, They are memories made
Who would have known how bittersweet this would taste?
[7]

Passed your house today, It was on my way
Are you still lonely?
You must have crossed my mind about a million times
Are you still lonely?
And I thought of what I’d say, If I see you again one day
I am lonely, too – I’m lonely, too [8]

Do YOU “like” sad songs?
What about sad movies? Sad books, and so on?
It’s true what they say – misery loves company.
Sadness breeds and attracts sadness.
Maybe I should focus on happy, upbeat songs, but I have always loved sad songs.


Songs referenced above:
[1] Maroon 5, “Misery”; [2] Christina Perri, “A Thousand Years”; [3] Maroon 5, “Payphone”; [4]Rhonda Vincent, “I’ve Forgotten You”; [5] Christina Perri, “Jar of Hearts”; [6] Disciple, “Trade a Moment”; [7] Adele, “Someone Like You”; [8] Brett, “Lonely Too”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Post for My Daughter

My favorite people